Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Like the Romans discovering Greece

Having acquired a Nokia 770 and loaded fbreader, I set out to Google up some FREE ebooks.
The expected ebook for profit cloud of gnats arose, but after searching awhile, the gutenberg project yielded some gems like Kafka's Metamorphosis and a little Spanish language reader.
Then today I found Bartleby, containing among other things, the Harvard Classics.
I now have a couple of essays by Cicero to devour, and I'm sure to go back for more.
My Dad had a set of Harvard Classics and I faintly recall reading them all, probably after I devoured the contents of Pine Bluff's pitiful public library.
In our modern world, any hack with a ghost writer can publish and even have a best seller. The problem for me is the value of the contents is not worth the price of admission. For most of the stuff in print today, I wouldn't read it if I were paid to. Well, I probably have a price.... But on the other hand, space in my brain is limited, and who would want to put pig entrails into a temple?
I wonder if this was what it was like when the Romans discovered the culture of the Greeks or maybe finding these classics is like the Italian renaissance, when the Italians rediscovered the culture of Rome and Greece.
Anyway, I am thrilled to be able to escape the shallow rumble of the modern media and take a taste of the rich elixir of the past glory of humanity.
Let's just hope that the freedom of the Internet is not spoiled by those fixated on charging money for access to these gems of human history.

No comments: