Monday, April 12, 2010

Big box Fail.

So, I go to Fry's Electronics for the second time ever, to buy some laptop memory.  At the memory dept, the guy looks up the memory for my laptop, prints a picksheet, and we go to the register, where the cashier takes the sheet to the person in the 'cage'.  We compare the stick to the one from the laptop and it matched.
So, we take it home and install it.  It didn't work.  The reason is probably because we put in 1GB in the external slot with a 512MB stick under the keyboard, and it didn't synch up.  So, back to the gulag, I mean Fry's Electronics.  On entry, I get a service sheet from the door guard.  At the service dept, nobody wanted to look at me.  When I actually talked to a human formed object, it sent me to the memory dept.  The memory dept sent me to the front for an in-store credit.  The front of the store sent me to customer service, who passed the memory stick to about four different people to verify that the memory stick was actually the memory stick.  Once they found someone to sign off, I decided that a refund was the only option.
While waiting for the sign off, I overheard some CSR human formed objects talking about how they weren't going to get written up for some transaction...  A real confidence booster for a potential return customer.  No, not me. 

What do you call it when a Fry's Electronics employee quits?  Logan's Run.

How many Fry's employee shaped objects does it take to make one human?  There aren't that many Fry's employee shaped objects.

After Googling some additional info about upgrading the IBM T43 laptop, Tigerdirect.com is where we got the memory.  I've bought many items from Tigerdirect with good results, so why would we go to a retail store?  I don't know, I'm asking.

The test that Fry's failed was that no employee wanted to expose themselves to the risk of helping a customer for fear of breaking a company rule or making a mistake while helping a customer.  I already knew that I needed two 1GB memory sticks, and that the other memory slot is under the keyboard.  Fry's would have had the sale, and the "good experience" which did not occur would have caused a return visit by this customer.

This did not happen.  One customer lost permanently.

No comments: