Thursday, May 10, 2007

Smoky Sleeper

When I first got this 1978 Suzuki GS750, it had a hole in the lower crankcase that I patched with some high temperature epoxy. Well, that lasted a couple of years, and it started leaking. It turned out that it was cheaper to buy another engine than to replace the lower crankcase.
I got a running 1978 GS750 engine, but there were some signs that it wasn't what it seemed. It had oil cooler pipes, the covers were all chromed, hmm...
Well, after a lot of cleaning, the engine was swapped in and everything was buttoned up and tested. The starter motor is a little weak, but the engine will start on the weakest of kicks on the kick start. Hmm...
It's got torque, and it growls like a 900cc... Hmm.. I mighta lucked out and picked up a bored out rebuilt motor. It smoked real bad on #4 piston, but after it got hot, the smoke went away. I did put a little seal conditioner in the oil to help the valve seals plump up a little. After all those weekends of wrenching, I AM going to ride.
While the engine was being swapped out, I did a quick paint job that I signed 'Infidel'. That's my left hand print on the top of the tank. Red and yellow should be bright enough for most other drivers to see me coming.

No comments: